Friday, July 27, 2012

Suicide and African-Americans: A cry for help

Hello Family,

I know it's been a while and you're probably guessing where I've been. Well for all of my four followers, I've been in Law School at SULC and have not had a chance to do anything. Literally. It is a 24/7 job that is very stressful.

With that being said, I wanted to talk about Suicide and it's effects on African-Americans. If you remember from my last post, I planned to discuss this when the time was right in the wake of the late great Don Cornelius. Suicide is not a "White Man's disease." According to the CDC, suicide is third among all leading deaths of African Americans from the ages 15-24. Black-Americans are 30 times more likely to suffer from severe psychological distress as compared to White-Americans.

Anyone who has been inflicted with major depression, and feel like you can't go on, there is help. I wanted to do this topic because I have battled depression and even suicidial thoughts. This was something that I did not want to discuss, but I felt that getting the message was more important than my personal feelings.

What has kept me going is my faith in the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And I believe in him, our Blessed Mother, and the Holy Ghost. I pray every night for my soul and to ask God to shower me with his love and squash any such thoughts because there is nothing worth losing my life over. Not women, cars, money, etc. So, 50 Cent can get rich or die trying if he wants, but this brother wants to live.

If you or any loved one is suffering from Suicidal Thoughts, dial these numbers:

1-800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433) or 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255)  or the deaf hotline at 800-799-4889.


And Check out these websites:


www.nopcas.com/


http://www.biography.com/people/don-cornelius-273681?page=2


(Source of this information for this blog: BET (No KIdding. I quoted BET #WorldIsEnding) http://www.bet.com/news/health/2012/02/02/suicide-and-black-men.html)
RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment